Saturday, July 8, 2017

Could be the slow down

Card Count: 206

I don't know if it is a slow down, or if I have reached peak trading.  I always knew there was going to be a time with collecting that there would be a massive slowdown, and I would find it harder to get the cards I need outside of just buying them outright.  I was hoping that CardSphere would extend that time, but I don't think they have a critical mass yet on the site with only around 2200 traders.

I saw this with Deckbox during my Legacy phase, where I was trying to get all the older sets complete and I ended up spending $100ish on TCG to just finish all my playsets.  I also recall that I did not want to mix up the Legacy / Modern lists, and wanted to completely finish up one list before I started the other.  Basically I could have just added my wishlist for Modern and picked up the cards for Legacy within those trades.

To explain what is happening, we have hit a point where the number of cards I am looking to get are so varied that it is hard to trade with just a single person.

Deckbox example: I can find multiple traders with a bunch of cards that I need, but they don't need anything I have.  Or, there are a bunch of cards that I have that they need, but the amount of cards that I need from them is so small, that I need to pick up cards I don't need to finish the trade.

CardSphere Example: I have a lovely balance, but the cards they have to send me is usually less than $1.00 so it is not worth it to send the card because of the shipping cost.

I really think it is a combination of each for both sites.  With Deckbox I am going to have to start trades that are less than $20 just to find the cards I can get.  I still have some hope with CardSphere because it is such a new site, that I will be able to see some cards trickle in.  Now it could be the summer lull, or I could be seeing peak trading, but I am going to keep on the whole plan to keep trading.  I really want to send out a Revised Sealed Tournament deck with the last card I need.

Here we go!


45...  45...  That is how many Birds of Paradise I own in the collection.  I am missing 2 7th Edition, and 1 Alpha.  That is a play set in everything outside of Beta, Unlimited, Conspiracy: Take the Crown.  I also have the International Collection Edition and a Korean 4th Edition BoP but we are not counting those.

And...

So yeah, all in all I am going to have to put a little more time in Deckbox trading while I wait for new players to join CardSphere.  The question is what will I use my balance on CardSphere for while I wait.  Right now I have about $78 for a balance, but remember most of that trading is sending out common / uncommons, so in my eyes it is all profit.  I could cash out, but the cost of that is just too much.

I could think about adding some speculation cards I am looking for to use up some of that balance, but then I don't want to not have a balance for the cards I am really looking for.  But then do I keep sending out cards to keep that balance going?  If I do send out more cards, there is really no hedge that I can do incase there is run on the site and inflation goes crazy.  I suppose everything is tracked in US Dollars, so $100 is always $100, so that could be an option and just see how much of a balance I can run up while I wait.  There is still a fear that the site will not pay out too.  It could just be lost cash and cards.

Either way I think I will concentrate with Deckbox as my active trading, and then keep sending out on CardSphere to build up a balance.  I will think about trying to get ABU cards that I need to fill out my sets, I heard that doing that on PucaTrade was a pretty good deal.

I am just so close to finishing and want to keep this going with filling everything out on trades.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...