Thursday, October 5, 2017

Goodwill Auctions

The Greatest Magic the Gathering blog is back and running! 

The last couple of weeks I have been attempting to take care of my wife and our new born baby, so I have not really been able to spend time to write blogs or keep up with the collection.  Recently I have been able to get in front of some things and spend some time with the cards.

As the title of the blog suggests, I was running around with the wife doing a little last minute shopping for the baby.  We ended up hitting up the Goodwill so I decided to check out the cabinet that is locked, just because I have read a lot of stories on Reddit about other collectors finding gems in those types of stores and I wanted to take a stab at it.

I ended up not finding anything in the cabinet, but I did find a nice little link that they post.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

This is a link where you can shop the auctions they are putting on all around the country.  You can put in a max bid, and get some of the card collections they post on their site.  Now, completed a couple of auctions and won them both, and of course I ended up paying too much for them.  But really, I just wanted to get my feet wet with what type of stuff I can get, and what I should expect.

Here we go!

Alright, so this was my first buy, and I think I spent around $100 on this one.  Way over spent on this one, and did not get much from here.  It was my first auction and really I just wanted to get it because I saw some Modern Masters 2013 common card on the top.  Of course I was thinking that there would be more in the bulk of it.  I did not really get through it all, so I will write another blog on this one, and how not to bid on these auctions...

So this was the second auction I bid on, and I spent a little too much on this one, but it was well worth it.  I have been able to accept the collection into my inventory and update my trading sites with the new cards.

Here are the money cards I pulled from the collection and the 2 Theros Thoughtseize were the only cards that forced my higher bid on this collection.  Since we are looking at two trade binders, I just assumed that there was a lot more to use as trading fodder.  I was a little right.

Here are some land pulls that should being in some good trades.

Here are some more money rares, just smaller values.

Here are all the other Mythics I pulled.  Yeah yeah, not the Fog bank, not sure why that is in this picture.

This was just all the leftover bulk rares that I got.  You can also see the lower left stack, those are some promo and prerelease cards I picked up.

And here are some Commander 2013 first prints I pulled out because at some point I am going to start working on these, along with Conspiracy.

So yeah, on the second auction my bid was $200 and I ended up having to pay around $20 for shipping, but it was worth it if I can trade these cards away.

Breakdown
Cost Basis: $220.75
Money Cards: $228.69
Bulk Cards: $88.35
Promo Cards: $12.34
Duel Deck: $69.99

So in reality I spent $220.75 and picked up $399.37 worth of cards.  Some high priced cards, some bulk, some promos, and that Duel Deck.  I was actually surprised on that Duel Deck, I just assumed it was a newer one that was not worth that much, but it is one from 2011 and has a pretty nice price tag on it.  There are some up for sale around $80 on eBay right now, but the ones that have sold were closer to the $69.99 price range, so that is why I went with that.

So I am really hoping that I can turn these cards around to pick up some of the stuff I am looking for. But as you will see, I might not be in the need for trading fodder much any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...