Saturday, October 14, 2017

So the End is here

Card Count: 0

And so there were none.  That is right!

I started on July 15th, 2013 with a beginning target of 25,576 cards needed to finish up my playsets of every Core set, Expansion set, and special release set.  All the while, I would still attempt to finish up with all the standard sets along the way, and keep up with all new releases.

So I started around 1994 with Fallen Empires and Revised Edition.  I kept playing up until around 1998 right after Exodus.  I remember thinking to myself, "How the hell am I going to keep up with all these new sets that are coming out?"  At the time, I was working everyday of the week at 3 different jobs.  I would work at one restaurant Monday - Friday morning, then I would work another cooking job on Saturdays at another place, and a comic book store on Sundays.  I was also going to school full time at night. 

I would use my discount at the comic book store to pick up booster boxes pretty close to cost, and then try and find time to play at night hanging out at the local 24 hour dinner.  As time went on, I just had to grow up and try and make a name for myself.  I was pretty lucky, and I only sold my cards to my father so my collection did not go far.  He kept playing until around 1999 but he never got rid of the collection.  He actually kept buying some cards, and some collections.

Every so often I would get together with my cousins and play a game or two, so I decided to bring the collection to live with me with my father's permission.  It was around 2003 and we would only play with the cards I had.  Basically from Urza's Destiny and back.

Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised, 4th Edition, 5th Edition
Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Homelands
Ice Age, Alliances
Mirage, Vision, Weatherlight
Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus
Urza's Saga, Legacy, Destiny
Chronicles, Portal, Portal Second Age, Unglued

Now I did not have playsets, and it was definitely more of a player's collection.  What I mean about that is, I had multiple playsets of dual lands and other deck building cards, but not every card in each set.  You could say that I had the more expensive cards because those were the cards that everyone used to build decks.  I think I counted 7 playsets of dual lands.

Race up to 2011 where I started to play again.  My boss and I would travel the country installing phone systems, and one night he brought up playing D&D.  I brought up Magic the Gathering and that started me getting back into the game.

It had been so long, that I actually went into my old comic book store looking for a Scry price guide.  When I asked the front desk, they just kind of looked at me and said, "Have you heard of the internet?"

So by the time I started up again, I was buying Magic 2012, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi, Scars of Mirrodin, and Mirrodin Besieged. 

And by the time I started to write the blog I was picking up my Magic 2014.  This was putting New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon Maze, Magic 2012, and Magic 2014 under my belt.

I was pretty much missing most of Modern, a large chunk of the later Legacy cards, and there were still some Vintage cards I needed to fill out my single sets of the older releases.  They had also released a ton of smaller sets since I was away, so I needed to pick up those as well.

25,576 cards later, with the addition of the running Standard sets, I am now done with Phase 1.

Single Sets
Arabian Nights - Legends

Playsets
The Dark - Eldritch Moon
Revised - Magic Origins

I was also able to complete Phase 2, which is all the special sets they released.

Single Sets
Starter 1999
Starter 2000
Unhinged
Conspiracy
Conspiracy: Take the Crown
Modern Masters 2013 - Modern Masters 2017
Eternal Masters 2016

Playsets
Portal
Portal Second Age
Chronicles
Unglued

So with the addition of these cards, I can say goodbye to Phase 1 and Phase 2!

Here we go!

Phase 2 - Final cards for Portal Second Age!

Phase 1 - 7th Edition
Phase 2 - Starter 1999

Phase 2 - Starter 1999!

So yeah, we are off to the races on Phase 3 (sealed booster boxes) and Phase 4 (ABU full set).

In the next coming days, I will go over what I plan to do with the spreadsheet and the recount.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...