Monday, December 5, 2016

Black Friday!

Now I normally hate black friday, and I never go out and shop, but for some reason I decided to go out and see what types of deals I could get.  There is a seasonal Black Friday shopping sale at an LGS I normally go to and love, then there was a LGS that was going out of business that I had to check out, and then I needed to make a stop at my LGS Mead Hall Games to pick up my Anthology Planechase.

First stop was the Air Traffic Kite and Game shop that was going out of business.  There really was not much I could find for deals, but they were selling things off at 20% discount.  The manager told me that they were going to be open until the end of Dec, so the deals were supposed to get better as the closing sale went on.  So I hope to make another stop closer to the end date to see if there is a bulk pickup I can do.

I was able to pick up 2 From the Vault: Lore for $31.99 each.



And a Anthology Planechase for $119.99.


Then I headed up to the Source Comics and Games.  They opened up at 10:00 AM, and a line out the door.  It was crazy.  They also did a deal where you could get an extra 10% off if you brought up a canned food to donate to the food shelves.  They also have a 10% off card for customers if you purchase the discount cards, and the card lasts a whole year.  I normally get the card every year. What they did is add the 10% discount from the food donation to the 10% discount card for a total of 20% discount on anything you buy.  On top of that, they had door breaker deals in the back of the store at even more of a discounted price.

This year, from what I could tell, they had booster boxes of the first Conspiracy and Eldritch Moon set at 50% discount!  I was checking out twitter while I was in the line and saw that posting, and when I got in that door I headed right in the back and picked me up 4 boxes of Eldritch Moon.

Eldritch Moon for $69.25 each.


I was going to grab more, but really that is a pretty big gamble to go for, but who can go wrong with that price.  Granted I only got 50% off of list price, and then an additional 10% off for my food donation.  So with all the discounts and after the tax it ended up being $69.25 each box.

Why Eldritch Moon?  First it is a small set.  I love small sets.  Not all of them, but I do find small sets and especially if they are at the end of the block, have a great return.  For some reason people usually don't buy a bunch of them, and they usually have some really good cards.

Rise of Eldrazi
New Phyrexia
Avacyn Restored
Dragon Maze (worst of them all)
Journey of Nyx (Still waiting but they have god packs)

My opinion, this set has better cards than Shadows over Innistrad

Liliana, the Last Hope
Emrakul, the Promised End
Grim Flayer
Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Selfless Spirit
Gisela, the Broken Blade
Thalia, Heretic Cathar

And those are just the high end cards.  SOI just does not have that type of card base that EMN does, and I really think those cards will go further that SOI or most of the Battle for Zendikar block.  I put EMN in the same category as Magic Origins.

Along with the EMN booster boxes I picked up some singles and packs for the 20% off price.

Finally I headed down to Mead Hall Games, and I already posted the Tempest booster box in a separate post, but I was also able to pick up my Anthology Planechase.  Why in the world would I pick up 2 Anthology Planechase?  Loyalty to Mead really.  I know I already picked one up for a discount, but I always pick up sealed product from Mead, and I am not going to change even if I can get another set cheaper somewhere else.  Now with that being said, yeah it was stupid that I bought the other one, but.... maybe I will open it for the planechase cards to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...