Sunday, June 1, 2014

Podcast - Magic: the Amateuring

Magic: the Amateuring
http://www.magictheamateuring.com/
Grade: B+

Favorite Running Stories: Ben's Phone number and Nicol Bolas

So I write reviews on websites I go to, and the LGSs I go to, so hey I figured I would do some write ups on what I listen to as well.  Now, I have just started to listen to Magic the Gathering podcasts about a year ago, and I really only listen to 3 of them, but if it is anything like I have been doing with financial investing I am pretty sure there will be more.  Since this was my first MTG podcast I have listened to, this will be my first review.

So, these three folks, what can I say.  Most of the "Intense" podcasts I have tired, you always here the other contributors trying to talk over each other to sound cool, and make a point to tear down the other person and what they are saying.  But with these folks, you get a sense of entertainment.  Almost like they feed off each other.  I do have to say I am quite a big Fan Boy when it comes to these guys, and I am a really big fan.

Ben is the straight man, his dry humor and quick witted responses are really funny.  He is the veteran player, and has the most insight as how to play and what the rules are.  My favorite parts of the show is when Ben will list out two possible cards and Meghan and Maria have to guess which one is the real vintage card.  Best part of it is that he actually makes up the flavor text, and it is some good stuff he comes up with.

Meghan is the rookie wanting to go pro.  I would have to say she is the more serious player out of the trio and she seems more interested in the professional side of the game.  Great humor, and her small little bursts of quirky attitude really make you want to root for her.  As a Fan Boy I really need to point this out, I loaned her a couple of cards one time for FNM, I had to drop off the cards at the LGS and I got to meet her.  Yeah, it was pretty cool.  Funny thing is that it was the day before I was getting married, and we were having the party near the LGS so I figured it would be ok for me to make the pit stop.

Maria, oh boy Maria.  Funny as hell, but holy balls you need to make sure you are listening to the podcast with ear buds.  Not that she is a potty mouth, but I would have to say she is the perverted one of the bunch and not afraid to share.  It brings a brighter side of the whole Magic the Gathering experience, and not to sound too sexist, but it is great to hear some of this humor coming from a woman.  It is "Bridemaid's"esk.  A really warm sense to the listening holes.

So with the three you get straight man, quirky, and dirty all in one.  They almost feed off each other and it works so well.  There have been a couple of off episodes, but for the most part I don't miss any of them.  I should also say that you do get to learn about Magic: the Gathering, but I enjoy listening to them more from the not so serious side of the game.  It is truly entertaining with a hint of education.

They also do have some great guest that show up and make great contributions to the show as a whole.

Again, need to give a shout out to Mead Hall Games and the Meadery for letting me know about this wonderful content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...