Sunday, March 26, 2017

Collection Time

I bought a collection a couple of weeks ago, for $700.00 and I just finally got through with sorting and getting an inventory of it all.

Card Totals
Cards: 17,149
Foil: 196

Card Value
Total: $5765.35
Rares: $2467.17
Non-Rare: $3298.18
Foil: $210.69

Collection Count: 1079

So it looks like the bulk of the purchase was bulk, and I really did not make a dent on the collection count.  I was able to pick up some Starter 1999 cards, along with some Portal cards, but nothing really impacted the collection.  This was pretty much known going into it, and I really did this for trading fodder.

Let's take a look at see what I got for the collection outside of what was already posted in the first blog post.  I will also review what I did get out of the rares for the collection.

Starter 1999:






Considering that I have not really been diligent in gathering these cards for the collection, and have only become somewhat of a priority for Phase 2, it was nice to pick these up.  Not all of them were in great condition, so I am pretty sure I will need to replace some of them, but it was a nice pick up considering I was not expecting to get anything like this.

Portal


Nice little Porta pick up here.

Portal Second Age




Some good pickups, but nothing really crazy.  Just some good cards to get to finish the sets.

Champions of Kamigawa


One single common I needed in the whole collection...  I was hoping for more.


This is a picture of everything that I pulled out of the "Bulk" in where the seller thought it was not worth anything.  As you can see there are some real gems in here.

Wasteland - Tempest
Gush - Mercadian Masques
Cabal Coffers - Torment
Urza's Lands - Multiple
Mirrodin Artifact Lands - Mirrodin

Considering that he wanted to just sell me the rares and what he thought was expensive, but I insisted that it was for the whole collection.  I think I made out with that decision.

With that I can equate this stack of cards adding up to $241.28.  It is a ruff estimate.  What I did was I took the amount of rares on the first sort, then I subtracted that from the subtotal of all the cards that were above $1 for each set.  That got me to $241.28.  In my spreadsheets I have a column for each set that will look at the card prices and then SUMIF when the card is above $1.  I have wrote about it in a previous blog, but here it is again if you are interested:

=SUMIF(C2:C602,">1",H2:H602)




Here are the highlights from the collection, that I am hoping I can turn pretty quick, but I am not very hopeful.  We will see though.

So really all that I am getting from this is a bunch of trading fodder, again which was expected, and a lot more bulk that I need to sort.  There is the possibility that some of the cards that I did pick up will spike at some point, but it is not hopeful considering most of the cards I got were from RTR and up.

All in all, I did get my money back from the investment considering I should be able to trade away the cards I did get.  There was a large amount of older cards that were in really bad condition, and it would be hard for me to trade them away.  There is a LGS near by that from time to time give out store credit for bulk.  $.50 per inch and I might be able to get something back from a lot of the bulk.

With the original cost of the collection, and getting some cards I needed for the collection, I consider this a good buy.  I still think I paid too much for the cards, but considering my time horizon, I still could make out with this trade.  I know, you are saying that I bought +$5000 worth of cards for $700 but in reality I maybe got around $1000 worth of valuable tradable cards.  Most everything else I will have to do a store bulk trade for store credit, or just wait for something to pop.

So now that the sort is done, I will combine what I have just got with the collection, add the cards up to the spreadsheets and then I will update the cards on Deckbox to get some trades in.

I will update what I get in future trades, and hopefully this will be a fruitful adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...