Monday, March 20, 2017

Modern Masters 2017!

What a fucking roller coaster this has been.

I started out ordering just 4 booster boxes from PreOrder, and then after the spoilers were released I pushed that up to 8 booster boxes.  Then, I went to go pick them up last Friday and was planning on going over to Kitchen's place to do some sealed fun with a buddy of his, so what the heck, I picked up yet another box to throw that into the fun.

But yes, of course, I was at my LGS and decided to see what I could find.  I picked up these gems.


Yes these two go towards the collection, but not towards the countdown.  Remember I keep all these types of sets out of the countdown until after Phase 1.

So here is what 2 cases of sexy time look like:


Shout out to my LGS again for just giving me sealed cases!  Love that.

So a little back story time.  After watching Alpha Investments and how he was opening boxes for his Patreons, I was thinking that each half case was a good box and a bad box.  So I tried to do a little mapping myself to see if I was correct.  Let's see how I did.

So this is the first box that I opened at Kitchen's house.


As you can see I got 3 Fetchlands, 3 Mythic, and 2 Foil Rares.  The other rares that I threw in there were the ones that I thought were worth a bit more.  I know, Terminus, Gift, and the Cage are not that high buck, but I was excited so I did it.

First Half Case

Now, these next pictures I am going to show are from the half cases to try and prove out my theory in the small ass sample size I had.  In the first two half cases I opened the boxes that were in the same place within the half case.  I will go over what I did with the last 2 half cases to see if I could prove myself right or wrong.


So if my theory was right then this would prove that the first box I opened was the Dud box.  In reality I did get 2 Fetchlands and 3 Mythic Rares, but only 1 Foil Rare.  Far from being a Dud box, but there it is.


This was a boner box!  2 Fetchlands, 4 Mythic Rares, and 2 Foil Rares and 1 Foil Common worth something.  I also got a Guide, Cage, and Moon, so really if I were to count any box as the winner it would have been this box.  But all in all my theory is going down the shitter.

Next Half Case

With this half case I opened the same box as the other half case in the hopes that I have proven that 1 box in a half case is a Dud and the other one is a monster!  Lets see.


Ok, so NO Fetchlands, 2 Mythic Rares, and 1 Foil Rare with 1 Foil Mythic Rare.  If not for the Guide, Damnation, Shadow, Cage, and Collar it would have been a horrible box.  And the Foil Gift and Grizzy also made up for it, but hard to say this is a Dud.  The box total from the prices from this weekend was around $120, so really this could be considered a Dud box.  Being a collector this was not a Dud box because it was the only Craterhoof and Linvala I got out of my openings.


So this is the other half of that case, and you could say that it was the better box.  3 Fetchlands, 4 Mythics, 1 Foil Rare, 1 Foil Mythic, and 1 Foil Uncommon that is worth some cash.  Throw in the Shadow and Moon and it is a pretty sick box.

So with this case, it did look like the first box I opened was less powerful than the second box I opened, so you could say that they were split up like this within the half case.

First Box: $90.97
Second Box: $131.43

First Box: $120.15
Second Box: $231.12

So you can see that there is a slight mapping going on here.  Basically the first box is lower in value than the second box.  So with the last case I had I wanted to test out my theory even more.  So I opened the crap spot in one half case, and then opened up the money box in the second half case to see if I was right.  Let's see how I did.


This is the crap box.  Yup, crap box.  NO Fetchlands, 4 Mythic Rares, 2 Foil Rares one being a Foil Fetchland.  Then I got another Cage, Collar and a Damnation.  So yes, I was being a funny guy when I said this was a crap box, but if you call no Fetchlands a crap box then this would be it, not counting the Foil because that is random beyond random.  I mean com'on...  Lilly, Goyf, Cavern....  Value town.


And in the second half case, I opened the money box.  4 Fetchlands, 3 Mythics, 2 Foil Rares and 1 Foil Uncommon worth some cash.  Knuck.en.futz.

Dud Box: $298.21
Money Box: $321.68

So with that all being said I could open the Money box in the first half case and it should be a destroyer of a box, and the Dud box in the second half case would be lower than the Money box, but still should have a lot of value.  Unfortunately I always keep 2 sealed boxes so who knows if I will ever find out.  I do have them labeled, and if I ever get a bug up my butt I might open them to see what comes out of them, but really I don't think my mapping experiment holds any real value.

The good thing out of all this, I actually got a full set with this opening.  Normally with Masters openings I am always missing some Mythic Rares.  I think I got a really good mix of cards with both cases, and even with the extra box I did buy for the Sealed party I would have still got the cards I needed.

I am trying to get a full playset of Fetchlands from this set to go along with my Zendikar playset. That way I will have two playsets to build decks with.  I am also considering going out and getting another Zendikar playset when prices drop some more, just so I can get one more set.  I might wait until the Christmas Bonanza at the Source to pick up the extra playset, because I can get so many good deals, but I am pretty sure if I see them available at Meadhall I will break down and pick those up.

I am sure I have spoken about this in the past, but I like to really ramp up my buys with these types of sets, just because you can get so much value out of a single box.  And with that value I get a ton of trading fodder, and it held very true with this opening.  I was able to get an extra Goyf, Lilly, Caverns and a ton of extra stuff.  I will hold on to the foils like I always do in hopes to build a nice position with those to trade a way in a big deal for some Alpha power that I still need.

As it ends up after the weekend of release.
Total: $2268.59
Cost Basis: $1977.67
Collection: $1069.46
Foil: $279.60
Trade: $919.53 ($504.30 that are the higher valued Cards that go into the trade binder)

This is all after the first weekend from the release, so I can only expect these prices to go down as more boxes get opened.  But I got my full set, so I am happy and will be trading away all the extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...