Sunday, March 12, 2017

First Collection!

This is just a short update about a collection I bought.  I will go more into detail as soon as I get everything sorted out.  It was about 12,000 cards that I am taking in, so it will be a bit.



This is a picture after I got everything bulk sorted out, and with hindsight I should have just taken a photo of how the collection came in.  If I buy another collection I will do that instead and then show an after picture as well

But, big shout out to my LGS for allowing me meet up with the guy at the store to go through it.  I only went through the rares, but it was nice to just have a place to meet up where I knew nothing funky was going to happen.  I know that my request would have been very odd for anyone to ask because normally the LGS would be the only one doing the buying in the store, so it was very nice of them to allow me this space.  I did make sure that the inspection was done before the nightly gaming was done, just so I would not be doing what I was doing while other player were there to see.  I can't stress enough how it is not something that any other store would allow.

So a friend of mine, we'll call him Kitchen, told me that he knew a guy that he had played with a couple times and was looking to sell out of his collection.  Kitchen was a bit strapped for cash so he pushed the deal my way.  The seller posted everything he thought that had value on Deckbox.org, and will go into this with more detail later.  I ran the numbers, and gave him the purchase price.

It sounded like he was in a hurry to get the deal done, and wanted a response pretty quick.  So I ran the numbers and gave him the price.  I valued everything RTR and above as nothing, and then priced out all the sets that were Core or Block.  I gave him 30% for anything below $10, and 50% above $10.

Why did I price it out like that?  So basically anything RTR and above, there is so much inventory out there that no one has an issue finding that stuff and I don't get a lot of trade offers for that stuff. The Promo and special set cards I almost never get bites on, so they were left out completely.  That leaves the Core and Expansion sets.  Now I knew I had to do better than what an LGS would do, and most of the cards to me are just trading fodder, so buying for a bit more was not that big of a deal to me. I could only guess what a store offered him, but I am pretty sure it was below the $700 on my first offer was.

So I had made the offer about a month before he accepted my offer, and I can only guess that he went around to some LGS's to see what they would offer.  From the start it seemed like he was wanting to sell pretty quick.  That is the only thing I can assume why it was such a delay in accepting the offer.  I honestly thought he was going to pass.  But in the end, the offer was accepted and the deal was done.


So with the first pass through, these were the cards that were needed for the collection, which is a very good thing.  I did not think I would find anything I really needed.  But again I will go through this more in a later blog.

Considering that I was allowed to do what I did at my LGS I had to buy something, right?  :-)


So yeah, I did see they only had the Sphere of Resistance in their inventory so I picked that one up but while I was waiting another customer came in looking to sell some stuff to the store.  I tried to keep my distance, but all I heard was "Chalice" and "$100".  So I was very interested in seeing what they were about to pick up.  Ends up, the guy sold 4 Kaladesh Inventions to the store, but unfortunately the only card I needed was the Chalice of the Void.  I was really hoping for more, or even another Torrential Gearhulk!

So yeah, stay tuned in, should have more about the collection and what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...