Saturday, August 5, 2017

Yearly Drive

Every year, I like to drive around to the LGS's in the Twin Cities and rifle through their Magic the Gathering sections to see what I might find.  This also gives me an opportunity to just shop around instead of going to my LGS, and try and spread my dollar around.

This year it landed on the weekend of the Grand Prix of Minneapolis, just like last year.  I am also planning on doing my trip next year around the Pro Tour Minneapolis in Aug 2018.

I also tend to head to the Minneapolis convention center to check out the vendors to see what I can grab up there as well.  I will get into that in the next blog, just cause I want to have a completely separate blog for all that stuff.

Cedar Cliff Collectables
So with the first stop we headed down to Cedar Cliff Collectables in Eagan, MN.  I would like to start out with saying that I really only like to go to this store because they think they know the prices and how the game plays, but their prices do not show it.  It is very easy to get in there and find a lot of gems that they have priced completely wrong.

Don't get me wrong, the younger guy that works there is very helpful and knows his stuff.  He is great to visit with, and is a geek you could spend hours with just talking about geeky stuff.  The owner, and older gentleman, has some social issues.  He is the typical low esteem nerdy guy.  The type of guy that I grew up with where he feels the need to shock and awe everyone he meets, so he can prove how cool he thinks he is.  You might think you are having a conversation with him, but at no time is he listening to what you are say.  The pauses in his speaking are the times where he is just planning his next "witty" sentence that might cause a stir in your mind.  At all times he is just trying to get a rise / shock out of you.

If you have children, do not go into this store with them!  I repeat, do not bring children into this store!

An example of what I was able to pick up:

Those Mana Vortex from The Dark were picked up for $5 each.  List price has been around $12, and just spiked to $25 this morning.  They are Reserve list cards, so all in all a great pickup.  Now, they might know the prices, and they might be priced to move, and my perception of the whole store might be playing into their hands.  But when I am in there, and the conversation ends up on how much money was made on such and such a deal, because the buyer was stupid and didn't know the real value of the items, I tend to think they are people that expect to know all about the value of the items they are selling.

I also picked up the Thoughtseizes for $15 each with list prices of $20, and that Emrakul around $6.

These were all $1 pickups, so you can't go wrong.

And then I was able to get these closer to list.  I just wanted to speculate on them as future prospects.

Now I know I am not picking up Promo cards, but I have always really liked these so I decided to grab them.  Lightning Helix was the highest price around $10, but the rest were all around $1.

These cards actually went to the card count.  I know I did not post it at the top of the post, but we are at 63 now!  Yeah, just the Wrath of God pulls it down.  But I did need that Earthquake and who does not pick up an Unlimited Counterspell when you see it?

Vintage Speculation here and another really clean pickup at $6.00 each, as they are list with $13.  It is like a creature Chalice of the Void for 1WW, how can you go wrong?

What is that?  The last Invention I needed?  What was that?  Oh yeah!  Boom!

And............. this.  

Mead Hall Games
Yes, this is my previous LGS, and I decided to just stop in to see what I could find.  Thought I would show them a bit of love, and decided that I would just go there to pick up singles.  Still a bit peeved about that last pre-order.





So yeah, not waiting long on trying to finish out the Invocation set, and I guess I just see an opening to just get it closed out so I can move on to the way it was.


Also grabbed this one, speculation city!

Lodestone Coffee & Games
Yeah I know, this is my LGS and I was supposed to go to stores that I don't normally go to, but I just wanted what I wanted, and I knew they had them.

All this...
 

 

 

 

 

So yeah, I can honestly say that I have given up on trying to wait on finishing this set.  These purchases allow me to support the LGS and fill out the stuff I am looking for.  I just wonder if they get upset with me cleaning out some of this stuff, like they are trying to build up an inventory and I just keep pulling that back.

Ok ok, I know....  But now I have a playset.  It was either this or I was going to buy out their Bazar of Baghdads, and that would have been horrible for my budget!

To my surprise if found this beauty!  I can't believe I was able to pick this card up at an LGS!

And then BAM!  Surprise!  Surprise!  Surprise!  What in the all holy hell was this doing in there?  Just Boom!!!  Yeah, Phase 1 and Phase 2 price tag is around $660.  Must...hold...off...and...just...trade...for...cards....

Don't ask...

No idea...

Whoa!!!  Specy Specy!!!  I swear this card is going to do something fun at some point.  It is like a 5 CMC Balance that you end up with a 4/5 Vigilance dude.

Grey Duck Games



This is the closest LGS to my house, so I always just stop in to see what they have.  They have a good $1 bin and I can pick up some long game cards.

Dollar Mythics!

Dollar Speculation!

Dollar Foils!

Dollar Gearhulk!  Ok yeah, this was not a dollar, but it was there and I did not have a foil gearhulk.  I have a royal ass ton of the regular one, and 1 short of a playset of the Inventions, so figured I would pick up this to make the set.  I was thinking of going after the Pre-Release one, but I think I will wait for after rotation.

And this little gem!  Seriously snagged this one on the cheap, but think that after rotation I will end up down on this pickup.

Shut up, just shut up.  I know, I could have just bought an M10 booster box, or maybe a Mirrodin box.  Or any of the other boxes I needed, but instead I buy this sack of poop, for List!  Yeah, $9.99 a pack!  Who is the idiot now?  I could say that I wanted to support the LGS, or that I just wanted to crack some packs, but I honestly have no good reason why I did this.  Non...e.  I might open it today, but I am not sure.

So yeah, that was my day of driving around stopping at LGS's to see what was out there.  Now I am back in saving mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...