Friday, August 25, 2017

Commander 2017!

From the Best MTG Blog in the World - Love me some Commander!


Boo yeah!!  Today is a good day when a new Commander set shows up at your LGS!

So here is my set!

And I have another set setup with the other sealed sets.  I also have my speculation sets coming in from Alpha Investments.  Recall moment, we are Patreons for Rudy at Alpha Investments, and as such we get the opportunity to purchase items that come along his ownership at discounted prices. I was able to pick up a full set of Commander 2017 decks from Rudy for $94.99, and at my LGS I was able to get that same full set for $139.96, or $34.99 each (MSRP).

Now, with Rudy I was limited to only getting 2 full sets, and at my LGS I am pretty sure I could pick up as much as I wanted for MSRP, so that is why we open and display the LGS sets, and keep the Rudy sets in speculation territory for the lower cost basis factory sealed.  And honestly I only pick up 4 full sets in case I want to break them all open so I have a playset of all the first prints.

So yeah, that is going to be what I am doing tonight.  The whole opening, sleeving, inventory, making labels and dividers thing.  So fun!

But of course, since I was at my LGS I just had to see what they had, and so I picked up a couple of things.

Ohhh so sexy!  Beta Sinkhole!  Yeah, I totally needed this for the collection!  Crazy!

Yeah, Vintage staple and way overpriced, but picked it up anyway.  It is #5 and I do want to get 2 full playsets.  In hindsight this might be a bad buy considering they are coming out with Iconic Masters later this year, and I can see this being a reprint.  But, considering the low print run of the first Commander set, and they are doing reprints with Commander Anthology, there is a good chance this is not reprinted in any Master sets and will hold value for a while.  At least until they print the Commander Anthology, and by then I hope the price goes up further so the cost basis for this one will not be at a loss when they do.

Yep, same concept for these.  They were printed more than the first set, but they are becoming a Vintage / Legacy staple and I don't see them being reprinted outside of the Commander Anthology.

This was a CardSphere trade, and it is a foil only promo for the set, so I am pretty happy about getting my hands on it for the set.  The number is 141/140 so it is outside of the printed set.  Lets see where it goes from here.

And another CardSphere trade.  Yep, these are more of those stupid Planeswalker deck cards.

All in all a good day, and I am off to crack some commander decks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...