Saturday, September 9, 2017

Panic Mode all around...

Fuck you Wizards of the Coast, and Fuck you Hasbro!


The only thing that makes me have any comfort with all the money I use to invest in this hobby is that I have Hasbro stock and invest in the company itself.

Commander 2017 was just released in Aug.
Ixalan is getting released in Sept.
Iconic Masters is getting released in Nov.
Explorers of Ixalan is also coming in Nov.
FTV: Transform is also coming in Nov.
Oh yeah and the new Duel Deck is also coming in Nov.
Unstable is coming in Dec.

Rivals of Ixalan is then coming in Jan.
Master 25 then in Mar.
Dominaria is then coming in Apr.

So let's just hit up the end of this year.

XLN: $800
IMA: $1100
Explore: $60
FTV: $40
DD: $40
UN3: $360 (I hope)

So really I am looking for close to $1500 more than I was expecting to spend this year.  This all following up on last year, where I spent well above my budget because of the Conspiracy and 2 Master sets within the year, along with those Masterpiece sets.

So now what I am expecting to spend a year, if the trends keep up with what we are seeing.
3 expansion sets
1 core set
2 master sets
1 commander set
1 anthology set
2 duel decks
1 FTV
1 set of something

The only good thing is that there is no longer Masterpiece sets.  Again, there are no more Masterpiece sets.  That is close to $6000 in list prices that is really going to free up.  Following along with Phase 1 48 cards need, and Phase 2 122 cards needed, all totaling up to $283 for everything I need, I am not too worried about what might be happening.

Basically they are freeing up $6000 worth of Masterpiece cards and adding an additional $1100 for another Master set.

But the trend does look like it is 4 sets, 2 master sets, 2 duel decks, 4 commander decks, 1 FTV, and 1 Anthology.

$800*4 = $3200 (Expansion / Core)
$1100*2 = $2200 (Master)
$360*1 = $360 (Something Set)
$35*8 = $280 (Commander Decks)
$150*2 = $150 (Anthology)
$35*2 = $70 (Duel Decks)
$40*2 = $80 (FTV)

This totals up to $6340 a year.

So in reality this was ($6340 - $1100) + $6000 = $11,240.

Now I did not go out and buy up all the Masterpiece cards all at once, but those prices were all going toward my bottom line if I was going to be able to get all the cards I needed.

Now my Phase 3 cards for the ABU sets are going up a lot by speculators, and I am really not sure I am going to be able to pick up those at all, but it is a nice long term goal.  Considering that I only need 24 Beta cards, and 50 Unlimited cards, I will keep searching for those cards as I go to LGS's.

Yeah, Phase 4 with all the booster boxes can just go fuck itself...

All in all, with the removal of the Masterpiece sets, I feel like the additional Masters sets should be ok for now, I just need to keep up with only collecting a single card in those sets since they are all reprints.  Also, since 1 of the Expansion set is turning to a Core set again, we might go with 1 single set, but playsets for all the 1st print cards.

I really need to keep speculating down to a minimum, focusing on Phase 4 with the booster boxes. And trying to pick up cards for the trade binder, but concentrate on what I really need.  Because with having everything I need, I really don't need a trade binder?  Let's wait and see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...