Sunday, September 17, 2017

Pre-Order Ixalan!


And here it comes!  So I know I am a bit more excited for this set than normal sets.  With everything that has been going on with the set releases, and changes to Masterpieces, and block formats I think this set has a lot of room to run to pick things backup.

WotC is on the front foot trying to innovate game play within the Standard environment with this set. The flavor of the set is spectacular consisting of Pirates and Dinosaurs.  They are bringing back old school power through flip cards.


This is just an example of what they are attempting to do.

Ixalan has power, flavor, answers, flow in what seems to be a very well thought out set.  What potential does this set have?  Well with the power cards that they are putting in this set, but at the same time they are removing the Masterpieces from the sets, this is going to be the first set that has been released that could have mass box openings for the rares.

Look at it this way, with the removals of the Masterpieces, the crap Mythics they put in the set, and the power they threw into the Rares and Uncommons, this set is going to be a cracker of a set.  The Limited play will see a lot of flavor with the Pirates and Dinosaurs.  The Constructed play with the rotation of Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows Over Innistrad, and Eldritch Moon we will see all sorts of new deck types.  The collectability of those flip cards for the new Modern power, I can only see that this is going to be another turning point in the game.

I have some really high hopes for the set, and I am thinking that I will be digging into my extra spend to pick up some speculation booster boxes to keep sealed.  I currently have my pre-order in at my LGS Lodestone Coffee & Games with 8 booster boxes and 4 bundles.  After I do my initial opening, and things look good, I could possibly try and pick up a couple more cases through Alpha Investments.

I mean come on.  Uncommon?!

And of course, since I was up at the LGS I decided to hang out and search through some bulk to see what I could find.  I was not disappointed.

One of the owners called me early in the week to let me know they were doing a push on selling some of their Masterpieces this weekend so I was able to pick these up for the set.  Crappy thing, I already had an Oketra and needed a Kefnet.  Oh well, now I have one for trade.

 BAM!! Starter 2000!

KAPOW!  Starter 1999!

And yeah, that is all I found toward Phase 1 or 2, but still some good pickups.  Then I just started to pull out some cards for speculation.


Here are some Unlimited cards I found.  Now I just pick these up because they are older and I don't think they will spike much, I just have a history with those older sets and I just like them.

Found a couple of Beta cards.  One was signed and the other was pretty beat up.  I actually just pulled them aside and I was not planning on buying the, but oh well.

These were some lovely rare that I found in the bargain bin bucket.  Two of these are above $10 and older rares.  Now I think the spike has been because of recent speculation in the older cards, but I just had to pick them up because they were rares, and they were in good condition.

Total speculation of a speculation as this card evened out around $15.

ahhhhhhh yeah same thing...

 These I just picked up because I like them.

What is that?  Oh yeah, Spec U Nation!  I have been watching these cards for a while now, and just thought it was time to pick some up.  So at $7 each, I think they have a nice road to run for EDH and casual players.

20 of these at $2.75.  Now you might think I am crazy but think about it.  3 CMC artifact that sits there, and for 2 mana you can get a copy of a target artifact, creature, enchantment, or land until the end of turn.  For 2 mana you can get a copy of anything out on the playing field.  Anything until the end of the turn.  The possibilities are endless.  Time will tell, but I do think they are worth more than $2.75.

So yeah, excited for Ixalan and picked up some cards.  2 weeks is a long way away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...