Friday, December 14, 2018

UMA Results!



It was only a matter of time before they stopped this Master train, but I for one am happy for the change.  My wallet was taking a beating!



So here we are again.  Another year, and another Masters set.  This set is a little different than other ones since it is the last one for a while, and since it is going to be the last one for a while I went out and bought more than what was planned.  Of course my hope is that the extra booster boxes that I bought will go up in price, and I am able to make a profit on them.

Let's start out with the numbers.

Trade Count: 209,283
Foil Count: 3,813

With the new packs being opened we added 303 cards to the collection for the cards I needed for the complete set, but then we added 1136 cards to my Tradelist.  These are all extra cards that I now have to get rid of, and it somewhat goes against the new goal I am trying to accomplish, but it is the last Masters set, so I felt like it was ok.  Also, I do trade a lot of those Master cards away, and they are a lot easier to get rid of, so I am not too worried.  That leaves 96 foils added to the foil total.

Let's see how I did.


Here are the foil Rares and Mythics.  I have experienced a slight difference in this Masters set than others.  There was close to 1 Mythic Rare per booster box along with almost 2 Rares, when normally we would only see 1 Rare with the hopes of it being a Mythic Rare.  For some reason, there are a lot more Rare / Mythic Rares in each booster box, and I was pretty surprised by this.  Now, it might have been just my case that I opened, but it was nice to see all the value.

Notable cards that were pulled:
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Cavern of Souls
Leovold, Emissary of Trest

Those were all the Mythic Rares I got, and the Emrakul is going right in my Collection and I will not be trading it away.  The Cavern and Leovold will be traded, just not sure when I am going to unload them.  But with just those 3 foils, the CardSphere price is around $208 worth of cards.  And if I were to unload all my Rare / Mythic Rares I am pretty sure I am going to get the cost of at least 1 of the boxes back.

Just an FYI - I am trying to quantify my purchase and see what I need to do in order to make that cash back for the boxes I have opened.  Then I will try and recover the cost of the boxes I am keeping around.


Here are the extra Mythic Rares I got from the 4 boxes I have opened.  I am hoping to unload these right away.


And here are all my Rares, and again I am trying to unload all these to recover the cost of the boxes themselves.


I am pretty sure everyone is more interested in what I got for my Box Toppers, and here they are.  I do not think I did too bad, but that Balefire Dragon just hurt.  Right now I am sitting close to $330 just for the Box Toppers, so that is about the cost of one box.  These will be going directly into the collection, and I am hoping to fill that out next year.


So all in all I opened 4 Booster boxes, and kept 4 Booster boxes for the collection.  3 of those are going to be used as trading fodder, or hopefully sold for a profit and I can make some of that money back.  I should also share that I paid $288 per box at my LGS and I know I paid more than what I could have got them for, but buying at my LGS is also keeping them in business so I am not too upset with paying extra.

Speaking of paying off the boxes, after uploading my "Haves" to CardSphere I am already sending out $192.25.  I am going to try and keep track of all my sends in order to track the spend on the Booster boxes, and see if I can get an ROI with just the 4 boxes I have opened.  I might not get all of it back, but I can prove out how much I can get with everything I open, to prices I actually get from selling on CardSphere.

I still need 11 Mythic Rares for my full set, and 35 Box Toppers for that full set.  I am expecting to be able to pick up the Ultimate Masters cards fairly easy, and I am just going for singles.  As for the Box Toppers, I will be picking up the rest of that set through my LGS.  They seem to get a lot of cards from time to time, and I am pretty sure I can fill out that set with my LGS for sure.

Let's see how the ROI of the sets actually works out.  That way I can actually keep track of the cost of the cards, and how I can return those costs through CardSphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...