Sunday, December 23, 2018

Send some more!

Total Trade Count: 209,030
Total Foil Count: 3794

Forever Stamps: 15
Packages Sent: 15

Ok, so it was a stretch for getting this latest shipment out, but I was able to string together 15 trades.  This is not a bad thing, it is just slow going.  After all my sends at the beginning of all this, we knew it was going to slow down with new people putting their new wants in.  And as more people join the site, send some cards, and get a balance, that is when I will see their wants and I can ship out.  I just need to be patient and send out when I can.

With this send the biggest card was a Foil UMA Creeping Tar Pits., but really it was a small send.  But if you think about it in the profit sense, I used $7.50 worth of stamps to send out close to $90 worth of cards, so I did end up making some revenue. 

I also updated my UMA ROI, but I am tracking it a bit different now.  So I bought 2 cases, but only opened 4 of the boxes.  I did end up getting a complete set of Tokens, Commons, Uncommons, and Rares; with only needing to pick up a hand full of Mythic Rares.  And of course I also got the 4 Box Toppers, so the cost of the 4 boxes I did open should be counted somehow in the ROI calculations.

I guess I am trying to look at this from a collector's point of view as well.  I did not just want to track how long it would take me to make all my money back, just because I am keeping a full set and those 4 boxes that I did not open.  I am also gaining some value into the collection with those Box Toppers.  So in reality, I need to take the value of the 4 boxes I opened as the beginning Cost Basis.  Then I need to remove the Box Toppers value and the full set I am keeping for the collection.  That should get me what I need to make up from the Cost Basis and what I need to get rid of to break even, and that is just because I need to account for the value of the cards I am keeping from the box opening. 

It is the fact that I am trying to gauge value to the collection, and I am not trying to make a profit from opening the boxes.

4 Boxes: $1240.01
Set From Box Opening: $906.78
Box Toppers: $329.42

So in reality I gained $1236.20 from the box opening that went into the collection so I really only need to make up $3.81 to break even because of the value added to that collection.  Right!?

Well no, so I did open 4 boxes, and I did get $1236.20 into the collection, but I still needed all the other Box Toppers and the other Mythic Rares for that complete set.  So let's take a look at what is still needed to be paid for.

For the Set, I need $244.87 worth of cards.  The Box Toppers I still need $4416.73.  That totals up to $4661.60 worth of cards that I need to get.

Ok so I spent $1240.01 for the boxes, gained $1236.20 into the collection, which ends up with $3.81 left to make up for the cost of the boxes.  Then I need to add the $4661.60 that I still need to that cost that is left over, just because I am going to end up spending that much more to finish the sets.  That ends up being $4665.41 left to make up to get what I need.

So really my new target will end up being $4665.41 of spend after I opened the boxes to get what I need.  That means I need to sell all the other cards from those box openings at prices higher than $4665.41 in order to make up all the costs.

Now, there is no way that I am going to sell the rest of the cards to make up that cost, just because the value of the cards after the box opening does not even equal $2500 worth of cards, and that is if I were to be able to trade them all.  Seriously, the cards left over from the box openings is not even above $1200.  I have traded away around $270 worth of cards, and have $495 worth of foils, and $330 left in cards I can trade away.  That does not even break the $1200 brice target!

So now, what do we plan to do since getting everything that I need for the UMA sets is always going to be higher than the price of the cards opened from the boxes?  I am throwing out the ROI tracking, and just going to try and get rid of all the cards I can.  Since I am a collector, there really is no ROI, just value added to the collection at the lowest cost.

So yeah, trying to think of a better way to handle all this cost and value, but still a great exercise to do for value add to spend for cards.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...