Monday, January 22, 2018

Rivals of Ixalan!!!

Card Count: 121


Thats right bitches!  It only took me a weekend to open, sort, sleeve, and inventory this new set.  I still need to make my labels, but the worst part of it is done.  I have also been able to update CardSphere and Deckbox with what extras I got, so lets see what I can send out!

As you should all remember, I don't put up anything I am looking for in Standard until after rotation.  I just don't like wasting my cash on cards that I won't need, and really only need them for my collection.  Waiting for the post Standard deflation is always a good thing.


Bam! So I took this picture too late, and I had already opened the Bundle and a Booster box before I remembered to take a picture for the blog.  This set, we went with 9 Booster boxes and 2 Bundles.  I know, we had set up the budget to pick up 8 Booster boxes and 4 Bundles but I was spending $30ish for 10 packs so I figured I would just cut down to the Bundles I needed and then pick up an extra box to make up the cards.


So the Opening begins.  I like to open and sort a bit, just because I feel that the least amount of times I need to go through the cards the better.  This way I can just separate into color and rarity right away, and I can get to the alphabetical sort after.  This also allows me to see what I get for Rares and Mythics, knowing that I will get a playset of the Commons and Uncommons, this is an important part because I can just focus on the rarer cards.

On Deckbox I used to just put Rares, Mythics, or cards that were above $1 on there, but now I just put everything because I have found that people just want everything they need, so there is no need to limit what I put up for trade.  I even put up my Tokens and basic lands.  You would be surprised how much I have made on sending basic lands!


So this is what 7 Booster boxes and 1 Bundle looks like open.  I know that WoTC released what they are putting in pack for Arena with 8 cards total, and I wish they would do the same thing with paper.  Just with this simple pic, you can see how many more Commons you get than anything, and it would just be nice to not get so many commons.  I know, it will mess up Draft, but I can hope.

So, what did it end up as?

29 more cards needed for the set
- 20 Mythics
- 9 Rares

32 cards needed from the planeswalker decks

Total I only need $280.14 worth of cards for my complete set, and I will look to get my Planeswalker cards from CardSphere.  Another great thing about CardSphere?  You can set a price limit that you will pay...  Yeah...  Pretty cool...

So yeah, for a small set it was a pretty good open.  I got most of what I needed and we are looking good for the decks we want to make.

Speculation Nation!
So!  I was doing my opening and read this one.  Totally got a chub.  I mean come on!

Instant - Exile target nonland permanent.  For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying it's mana cost.

Are you kidding me?  I can remove a card from the game, and then cast if for free, when ever I can later in the game.  Like 4 turns later.  After I Wrath of God.  Pop my Disk.  Yeah, sick!

Then!
Go fuck yourself!

I know, I know.  But seriously.  Comes into play for a whole new hand where the cards in my hand are exiled.  Then!  If the Enchantment gets removed, all those cards in my had get returned to my hand so I have two hands worth of cards.

Ok, so now think about it.  Cast Induced Amnesia to get a new hand and exile your hand.  Then cast Release to the Wind on Induced Amnesia, exile Enchantment and get all your cards back and have a huge hand, but the trick is you can cast Induced Amnesia for free on what ever next turn you want.  And, when you cast it again for free you get how many cards got exiled.  Again, For Free!

Stall out mid game?  Go ahead and replace your hand!  For Free!

Release to the Wind is an Instant, so that means if it is in the graveyard Torrential Gearhulk will cast it for free.

I don't know, but that combo even outside of Standard is just sick.  So what did I do?  Yeah, went on TCGPlayer and bought over 100 of them.  Each of them was less that $1 each.  In total I spent $108.45 on those cards.  I might be wrong, but I just see a lot that you could do with that combo.  Let's just see what happen.

Of course, just had to see if I could pick up some things that were on my mind and these were pretty high on my mind, only because I have been building a lot more Commander decks and this is a pretty good staple.

And more of these.  Yeah, pretty sure I will just be picking up as many of these as I can.  This would be for my second playset, but I can see owning more than just 2 playsets for decks.

So yeah 2018 starts it off good, and bets are being made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...