Friday, November 10, 2017

Goodwill Bulk

The Greatest Magic the Gathering Blog on the Internet!

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

So I finally got to sorting/counting the first Goodwill auction I picked up, and let me tell you how much of a mistake that was.  Of course I got bit by that bug of "New way to get MTG cards on the cheap", and of course I paid way too much for it.  I do have to say it was a good experiment and showed me how much of a horrible thing it is to do without a lot of pre-purchase thought being spent on it.



What do I mean about that?  Well when I first saw that I could get in on auctions with the Goodwill for Magic the Gathering cards, I decided to just buy something that I thought would be fun.  I then just put in a bid that was pretty high so I could win.  I did not put much thought into how much it was actually worth, and what the value would be to me.  I just took a wild swing and wanted to get the box of cards no matter what the cost.

Let's go through what I found, and how I am adjusting my thought process on these types of purchases.

The big winners here, and yeah that is not a lot.

Here are some older Rares that are worth a bit, but nothing to scream home about.

And only 2 foils...

Yup, here are the only other rares I got in the bunch...

Some OK uncommons, but again, nothing to scream home about.



And here are some Commons that I am pulling out to put in the trade binder.

SO!

I spend $116.32 on this package, WAY too much for what I got.  But everything can be a learning process, and I am going to be much more of a stickler on what I bid on.  Seriously, I should have paid $20 for this, and just left it at that.  The price for being stupid.

In the end, cards that were above $1 ended up being worth $76.78.  The total for all the cards is $731.12.  So if you were to look at this from the view of someone that knows nothing about MTG collecting, that seems like a really good deal!  I got $731 worth of cards for only $116!  Boom!

But yeah, if you are reading this, then you know about the MTG community, and you know I wasted $90 on cardboard.  Seriously, the only silver lining I could think about on this deal is the 1851 pre Ravnica cards I got out of the deal.  Call me an idiot, but anything released before RTR is going to be worth more than what was released afterwards.  I really think there will be a long game in those cards, and at some point folks will try and complete their sets.

Spent: $116.32
Book Value: $731.12
Trade Worth: $76.78

In the end, I call this better than buying a box of Dragon Maze and opening it, but much worse than opening Standard.

The only thing I can hope for is collectors on CardSphere will be looking for a lot of this bulk, and I will be able to get something back from this mistake.  I really need to find a way to track that.  Might be a spreadsheet update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...