Friday, July 6, 2018

Phat Pack!


Just another pickup from CardSphere.  The only issue I have with these pickups, CardSphere does not have all the prices up yet, so I can't get everything I am looking for.  They need to get the MSRP from the sets in order to post the prices, and I am stuck waiting for them to get that data.

Granted these Fat Packs are pretty low on my want list, but it is pretty cool that I am finishing out this part of the collection.  This was a small add from trading, but still a welcome one.


Ok, so yes it is my first case of Dominaria.  And I know I said first case, because I do think I will be buying more.  Like in stocks, always pick up the winners and keep picking up more.  Ok, so in stocks it is not as simple as that, but in some senses it is.

This set is great for drafting, great for sealed, and great for single cards.  They added the Sagas, and I see those cards being worth more after rotation.  Then there is the new Mox, Karn, and Teferi.  All of which I think will be worth more in the future.  Cabal Stronghold is good, and could show more growth later, but yeah all in all I want more of this set. 

I think this will be one of those great sets that people will look back on and want to play more of.  To me, I think back to Urza's Saga when I thought to myself that I should get more of that set, but did not.  Or Innistrad and thought to myself and said I should get more, but I didn't.  So with sets like this, I tend to pick up more then the normal set. 

Kind of like what I did with Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, and Ixalan.  There is something with those sets that I just wanted more for later.  Amonkhet, Hour, Rivals, Oath, BFZ were all sets I did not see anything special with the set, so I did not pick up more, but it was also the time I had a larger buy pool so I have way too much of those products.  And as I have gone over and over, I am now under a new buy rule where I only pick up a small amount on pre-release to keep my bulk down.

Now I also know that this set was just released, and it has a long print run right now.  I want more of this set.  Honestly, I really think that the availability of this set will not be like we have had in recent years.  My feeling is that they will slow down on the release of all their sets instead of having an open fire hose for all Standard sets.  Almost like going back to the Scars of Mirrodin days.  I also think they are not doing this to keep print cycles down, but instead they are ramping up the number of products released into the wild.

There will be so many products out there, the natural purchase cycles these sets did have will go down because there is more to consume out there.  Everyday MTG players will not be able to sustain buying everything at the same amounts they had before, and they will now need to spread their cash around to different products.  But I also think that Commander has taken over the game, and people really have flocked to that format because of the cost.  Players no longer need playsets for their collection.

I also think WoTC is seeing this trend, and are moving forward to releasing more product to meet those needs.  Conspiracy, Battlebond, Spellbook, Global Series, and of course Commander.  These are all new sets that have multi-player cards in them, and are very useful in the Commander Meta.  They are also doing card frame changes to make those legendary cards more special.  Hell, go back to Dominaria and they added the Historic feature.  Wizards see's that the player base wants more Commander like decks, and can see where their customers want to spend their cash.

Come on - Brawl?

Standard is the way of the competitive player, but the Commander style of play is for 90% of the MTG community in some way of form.  Players might not play Standard, but they will play Commander.  The format is just better for the casual player, and lets be serious, 90% of the player base is causal for the majority of their playing time.

And like I have said before, and the reason I am buying so little of the sets when they come out, is because I want to be able to be more selective with what I get to buy, instead of bulking out more than I should.  Don't buy a ton of Hour of Devastation so then I can pick up more Dominaria because it is a better set.  Just crack a small amount so I can pick up singles that will be worth more later.  This way I lower my cost in bulk, keeping my bulk card supply down, and I can be more specific in what I buy along with getting my playset.

I am really just going to be excited for the time when I am done picking up my sealed product for the collection, and then that will open up my cash for all future speculation with new product.

Not much of an add to this blog, but wanted to keep up with what is going on since work is easing up.  Hopefully I will have another add soon with the M19 opening this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...