Monday, July 30, 2018

GP Minny 2018!

Total Card Count: 291

This is another large update, but I am kind of liking just putting out one of these each week instead of the multiple smaller updates.  We will see how it goes, but I really just don't have a lot of time to do updates anymore.

So let's start up with some pickups I got from Card Kingdom.






I love these lands because I am a Commander player, so I prefer to playing against multiple people at one time and these lands are perfect for me!  I am trying to pick up more of these that needed, just cause I see these are a dual land reprint.  Yes those ABUR dual lands.  Commander (EDH) is only getting more players, and I see these lands going far in value.  Now, this is not a speculation, but more of a grab to supply my decks.  I do see that I need more than 2 playsets, so I will more than likely stop at 3 playsets in hopes for a reprint at some point, and then I can trade some of my originals out for the reprints.

I also got some sealed product in from CardSphere!  I Love These Trades!!!!


This was a surprise, but a very nice surprise.  This finishes out my Magic 20XX Core sets and now I can mark that down as a small accomplishment and move on to the next step of the Modern Core sets.


This one was a planned pickup!  So now that people know I am looking for sealed products, I have other traders picking up boxes I need, and letting me know that they have them.  This allows me to know that I have something on a balance buildup.  Of course, this makes me want to trade more, so I can build up my balance to get those sealed booster boxes.  It just works so well knowing that I have product like this waiting for me, and all I need to do is sent cards out.

Now for the Grand Prix Minneapolis update!

I was lucky enough to have some family in town this past weekend, and decided to bring my two nephews to the GP so that they could see what it is all about.  I have been playing Magic with them for a while, and have been teaching them since they were 9, so it was a really cool thing to be able to show them the upper tiers of professional gaming.

We did not take part in any of the side games, and it was more just to show them what goes on, and they were pretty impressed.  They did grab a side table to get a couple games in while I did my trading business, and our real playing time was going to be up at my LGS.


So these.  I was planning on pulling my Revised Booster box our of storage to see if I could trade into some sealed booster boxes I needed, but was a bit timid of walking around with a box like that in my backpack.  I also did not see Alter Reality Games as a vendor, so I was not sure there was going to be anyone there that even had sealed product.

So as plan B, I grabbed a couple of my sealed Revised Starter decks in case there was something I could trade for.  I was quite surprised to see that folks were selling these for around $500, and pricing them around $1000 per deck.  I figured if there was something in sealed product I could at least get a sealed box for one of these.

To my disappointment I did not find any sealed product vendors there at all, so I was very happy I did not bring my Revised Booster box, but I was interested to see what I could get for the Starter decks.  I went to each vendor, verified there were some cards that I could pickup, and asked them how much they were willing to give me for trade-in value.

I ended up finding a vendor that was pricing them out at $400 in trade, so I pick them.  Now, the other vendors were all around the $300 - $350 per, so I only made out with $100 more in trade with the final vendor.  Let's take a look at what I was able to pickup:


And this is what I found for my Revised Starter decks an Unlimited Scrubland and Unlimited Savanah.  I was able to take a $7.95 pack of unopened cards and trade them for +$300 cards.  This also finished out my playsets of those Unlimited dual lands I was looking for.  I know they are not the best dual lands, but they are my finished Unlimited playsets and now I can freely trade away the Revised Dual lands that I was holding on to for other decks.  Basically I am trying to hold on to 2 sets of Dual Lands being a mix of Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised.  Granted I do not play with my Alpha or Beta Duals, but you get it.


I did have a little left over, so I also picked up these packs to round it out.  I am not opening them because I do not want to sort and inventory the cards I would get.  I really do find that now that I am done with collecting all my sets, I just don't want to open any sealed product past my pre-order pickups.

I was also weak and picked up some cards from a vendor.  I normally keep all my cash buys for my LGS when I can, and I like buying standard playable cards from them so they make a little money off of cards and I can help keeping them in business.  But I was weak, and picked up these cards.


This finished out my playset and I have no idea why I needed to pick these up, but it started my drift down the issue of picking up cards I did not need to buy at the time.


Yep, did not need these, but picked them up anyway.  Totally should have grabbed them from Lodestone, but yeah...


Ok!  So this one I needed for my playset, and it is a Modern playable card, but yeah another card I should have grabbed from my LGS...

So really it is not as bad as it could have been, but these cards are the types of cards I would only pickup from my LGS.

Now lets get into the real good stuff I get when at a GP!


RK Post was there!  This is the first time I was able to see this artist, and I was really happy!


More art for the walls!!


I need to buy more frames!

And then, there was Arron Miller!



It was only a couple of playmats, but I really like this work.  I wish he had a new Star Wars playmat, but I am happy with these additions.

So yeah, it was a good week, picking up some sealed booster boxes, along with some Commander lands, and finished it off with a great GP weekend with family.  We did end up going to Lodestone and playing Commander for many hours.  It was a great time, and we played with my higher powered Commander decks.  It was pretty dead in the shop because of the GP, so we were able to grab a table off to the side, and gamed it up.  It really get's me excited for the time when my child is old enough to spend hours upon hours at the LGS playing games all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...