Thursday, May 2, 2019

Mythic Edition - I am done

Yep, I am calling it. 

I am just going to finish my sets, get the rest of my sealed boxes I am looking for, and leave it at that.  War of the Spark is going to be my last Magic the Gathering set I will be collecting for the foreseeable future.

I do not want to bad mouth Wizards of the Coast, or eBay for their handling of the sale.  I do not want to hit out at content creators that people think are manipulating the market to take advantage of people.  I am just seeing what these hype cycles are doing to me and I am not happy with it.

So let's go over what my experience was like for the War of the Spark: Mythic Edition / eBay sale on May 1st 2019.  I was ready to go at 2:00PM CST and found the listing on eBay.  I was able to get through my order for the 2 boxes just fine.  From there I kept hitting refresh to see how fast the sale would be, and in 5 min everything was gone.  I was a happy camper!

Then about 40 minutes later, I decided to check Twitter to see what was being said, and that is where I started to see the messages about cancelled orders.  In a panic I went to my eBay account and checked the status of my order.  I had yet got the e-mail saying that my order went through, so I was a bit shaky.  There is saw it, in the Cancelled area of my Purchase History, the two boxes from War of the Spark: Mythic Edition were sitting there, cancelled saying I needed to put my order back in.

Of course I then started to hit up Reddit to see what was going on, and of course there was a lot to be said. 

I tried to stay positive, and think that WoTC will fix the issues with the mix up with going back to see what went wrong and ship out at least 1 box to people that got their order cancelled, but the more I was reading, the more I just got sick of it all.

None of this is fun anymore.  I am now keeping up because I feel the need to keep up, and I am not finding any joy from this.  Maybe it is because I no longer have a play group that I can get together with every month.  Maybe it is because I am a new father and find it more pleasing spending time with my family.  Maybe it is from all the change that WoTC is putting us through with nothing good coming out of it.

At the end of the day, I am just sick of keeping up with the hype cycle.  These "special release" products that keep failing are just the straw that broke my back.

In the past, it was fun to build that relationship up with my FLGS and show them support with just buying from them.  Being able to count on the FLGS to get me the product I was looking for, and building a better relationship with going into their store to talk about the things we have in common.  And now, I am just saving up my money to buy the next more expensive product, and the supplier is just releasing more and more expensive products.  If it is not FTV it is SDCC sets, if it is not SDCC sets it is Masters sets.  If it is not the Masters sets it is Mythic Edition series, if it is not Mythic Edition series it will just be another product.

All I am doing is chasing the chase products, and that reminds me of the 90's and sports cards.

So I am done.

I am not saying that I am going to sell my collection, and I am not saying that I am done buying Magic the Gathering products, but I am saying that I am no longer going to buy any new products.

I am just tired of what is going on with what is being sold to us, and Magic the Gathering is no longer the game I am playing.  I am playing the Hasbro game of how much can they suck out of me with all this stuff that is being released.

I am just going to concentrate on the sets that I currently have, and finish those booster boxes I need along with the Fat Packs.  Then I will just wait to see what my son decides to like.  If he does like the game, then I will think about getting back into it with him, but for now I am done playing this chase game.

I will be still trying to get rid of all my extra cards, and I will still be playing when I can, and at some point I might start buying again, but from what I am seeing I just want to stop putting effort into collecting this card game and be happy with what I have.  If I do get back into collecting, then at least I just need the newer cards.  So for now I am just done putting my money on new product.

I might end up selling my collection and focus on other hobbies, we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...