Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Dominaria and the new budgeting process!


4 Boosters
2 Bundles
2 Planeswalker Deck

That is all I am going to be picking up on pre-order.  I am more than likely just going to be opening the 4 Booster boxes, and 1 Bundle.  That is it.

Now!

I do plan on picking up more sealed boxes in a year or two because it is a Standard set and WotC will continue to print the hell out of it.  And yes, it is a buy that I will be preforming because I really think this set will be worth more in the later years.

Eldritch Moon
Kaladesh
Aether Revolt
Ixalan

These are all the sets I consider really great sets.  I have picked up more of these sealed boxes along the way because I think these sets will show a lot more value after the printing is done.  Eldritch Moon just had a ton of Modern staples.  Then Kaladesh and Aether Revolt was all about the Energy.  Ixalan I consider Urza's Saga 2.0 with those flip lands.

With Dominaria I see some of the same types of value.  The Saga's, Legendary cards, the new Mox, and just value I see in the set.  I personally see a lot of really good Modern and EDH cards.  I could really care less about Standard since it is just a 2 year return, but for Modern and EDH I see some really good cards for the long haul.  And in all the slots too - Common, Uncommon, Rare, Mythic Rare have all some really good cards.  I am not going to go through all the cards I think have value, just because I am not a set review Blog, but I did want to put it out there that I do see a lot of value in this specific set.

You could sit back and ask "what do you consider a bad set, and how do you get to that point?"

Amonkhet in my eyes was a bad set along with Hour of Devastation.  After rotation I do not see many of the cards doing anything.  Maybe after the 5 year timeline the cards will go up based on availability, but for the most part I do not see a lot of value from the set.

Another example is Shadows Over Innistrad.  While I really like Eldritch Moon, I felt that SOI did not have much value in the set.  There was not a lot that was popping out for playable cards.  Some set might get released later that will cause a card in the set to spike, but for the most part I just could not find much in the set.

How do you expect to buy new sets"

For the most part, I have found that there is no real big need to pick up sealed product on pre-order.  Now with the ability to pickup cases at $79.99 per box from Rudy and Alpha Investments, that $90 price point from LGS's is not such a big deal and I can take my time in buying more product on release.  I can only assume that my LGS will like it better that I buy singles from them instead of sealed product since they get to do such a mark up on singles they buy from other players, and the margin from selling sealed product it not worth it.

It is like this, I can pick up what I want to open on Pre-order and I will be set with the collection needs.  Then I can buy all the singles I need from the LGS to fill out my playsets.  The stores are going to like that more because of the margin they make on singles, and I would assume they would prefer me to pick up singles from them rather than buying a sealed booster box and only make like $20.00 per box.

Then I can just keep picking up boxes from Rudy at those price points, and keep those sealed boxes around if I want and not opening up so much sealed product.  Not only is it becoming difficult storing all those cards, but it is also not owning so many cards!  With buy listing and CardSphere I am trying to make my collection of bulk smaller, and opening up so much sealed product is just becoming to painful.

I can also put some budget toward picking up collections.  With less bulk on booster boxes I am opening, I can really pick up some bulk for cheap when buying collections.  I highly doubt I will do more collection buying, but it is an option.

I do have to say that with Rudy and CardSphere, it is a lot easier to get what I need and to be more surgical with my purchases.  I can only dream of the day where I am all caught up with my sealed product in the collection, and I can really concentrate on picking up things that will increase the collection value.

So really with Dominaria I am planning on going into "spend as little as I can" mode.  I used to just pick up 4 booster boxes when I got back into MTG, and that always was a good number for bulk and getting Common / Uncommon playsets.  Picking up sealed booster boxes as the year goes on, just to get sets I see more value in.  I do plan on picking up a lot more of Dominaria, just not so much at release.

I have noticed that with the releases of these latest sets, it has been touch and go with value.  I cannot just shotgun the set and pick up more than I need.  I have to be more careful with my buys so I can save more money for the sets that are worth keeping around.  My hope is that picking up my playsets will not cost too much and I can do it in this cost effective manner.

I just think that this is going to be a very good set in the long run, and I am planning on investing in this set a bit.

Help me get my CS badges for referrals!
https://www.cardsphere.com/ref/711/e4031f


More to come!  Happy Wed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...