Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mead Hall Games - Minneapolis, MN



http://www.meadhallgames.com/

Grade: A-

What a beautiful site, and really good prices.  They also have a MTG social network setup called The Meadery.  I had been to the store once last winter, and they were still setting up.  They did not have much of a selection of cards, and everything they were selling was Standard.  As the days went by since the opening, they have been improving more and more.  It is quite a good feeling to see a store like this.  Most shops in the Minneapolis area are focused on 2 things, selling you stuff and getting you to come in the store to play.  This shop does that along with showing off simple delights to the eye.

The store is remodeled to the manner of a fine wine vendor.  Hardwood floors and the decor of simplicity.  When I first went to the store I had thought that they were in big trouble with the gaming space they did not have.  I also saw a huge t-shirt printing press, and was just confused how they would be able to support any tournaments here (Just read an article that the owner operator has many businesses, one being a t-shirt printer).

Now I have only seen pictures since I was there last, but they have improved it greatly since.  It looks like there is more of a selection of cards to choose from, and they support local graphic novel writers, and they finally got a sign.  I swear I drove around and around multiple times because they never had a sign, and I never would have thought of a shop under the apartment building...  Seriously, I thought my GPS was cracked out!



The website is just a piece of work.  Clean lines, easy to find the sets you are looking for, and just all around good looking.  You hit the site and they have a rotation of card art in a manner that I would have never thought of.  You just get a search bar right in the middle of the art.  Google-esk design.  Simple and to the point.  The more and more I visit the site, the more passionate I get towards my own MTG collecting.

I think the thing that gets me going the most is the social network.  Here, I can communicate with the local community, find trades, setup game nights, get great ideas for anything MTG.  Just by going to the site I was introduced to a podcast Magic: the Amateuring.  I have only listen to one of the podcasts, but I am already hooked.

Other stores are good, but these guys are really putting in the time to make something special and it shows.  They really care about what they are doing.  I am very impressed.  I have yet to spend a day playing down there, but I am trying to plan something soon.  I just need to get the trade book setup so I don't show up unprepared.

They do have an awesome calendar setup, and you can purchase tickets to the upcoming game nights.  What excites me is they have a Commander Thurs.  Just for EDH.  A whole night, just for EDH.  Amazing...  But like I said, still need to head down there to see what the people are like, and check out the atmosphere.  I am pretty sure I will do an update later on what comes of this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...