Wednesday, June 19, 2019

I got sick

Total Trade Count: 206,232
Total Foil Count: 3,753

So I have been pretty sick the last two weeks, and just have not done much with anything other than going to bed after we put the kiddo down to sleep.  I am actually writing this from my day job because I need to get an update out there, and I am sitting on an all day meeting that is not really that important, so I might as well be productive.


Big to do, Modern Horizons was released and I did open one box.  I am still considering opening another box, but I am waiting to see how low the prices go down before I do that.

Complete Playset on Release: $2555.08
Complete Playset on 6/19: $2252.72

Current need: $1960.95
Current Collection: $305.78

Why am I spouting out all these numbers?  Well it is what I try and manage to.  I normally open sealed product to get the cards I need, but I am trying to not add to my bulk.  That means I am trying to open the least amount as possible so that I do not end up with a ton of bulk cards added to my trading fodder.

With the single box being opened this is where I ended up.
C Needed: 52
U Needed: 212
R Needed: 179
M Needed: 57

C Cost: $9.03
U Cost: $70.40
R Cost: $802.33
M Cost: $920.71

So you can see here that I do need a lot more uncommons so it might be worth it to open another box, but I really only need $70.40 more worth of Uncommons.  Is that worth the 36 Rares and Mythic Rares that I will get from the box?  I will only be getting 108 Uncommons, and I will still need at least 104 Uncommons after I open the box.  I am pretty sure I am going to get all the Commons I need, but is that a good enough reason to open another box?  I am going to end up with at least 344 commons that I do not need.

Also, with Modern Horizons, they released special Art Cards and I need 18 out of 54 cards.  I can expect to maybe get 10 cards I need.  But there are also the token cards too.  They released some new double-sided tokens along with foil tokens, so just from that fact it might be nice to open more.

But as of right now, I opened one booster box, and I am going to be monitoring the price of cards that I need for at least 3 months, and wait for the prices to come down.  The only issue with that tactic is I am trying to time the market, and if there is some tournament that showcases some cards from this set, I might be looking at an increase in price rather than a decrease.  If the prices of the boxes come down to a point where I can snag some more, I might just crack some packs.


One main reason I pre-ordered from my LGS was to get a playset of the Buy-a-Box promo, Flusterstorm.  I now have a playset from Commander, Iconic Masters, and Modern Horizons.  I appreciated this card so much for the legacy environment I actually have 3 playsets from Commander, but now I am attempting to trade one playset away.  I think as soon as it sees Modern play the price will start to creep up, and since this was just a BaB released card, I think there is a good runway for it.


Like I do when I am at my FLGS, I check to see if they have any cards that I need, and lucky me they did have an Ultimate Masters Mikaeus!  I swear I have been looking for these last three UMA cards for the longest time.  I do hope to close out my box toppers when MagicFest Minneapolis shows up in Aug.  Now I only need two more regular UMA cards for my set.


Seeing as I was sick for so long, it has been a while since I updated my incoming trades.  I decided to put up more of the Player Reward Promos that I needed and they started to roll in.  This was a nice pick up.


I have also started to post my rotation needs at reduced prices, and here are just some that have come in.


I am really surprised on how easy it is to get some of these cards.  As long as they are priced right, folks really jump in on sending these cards.


I only need 6 more Rival of Ixalan cards left, and 5 Ixalan cards, but the Ixalan cards I play to pick up from my LGS.  They are on the higher priced side, and I want to send them some support.


And more of those XLN and RIX cards.


And here is the last of them.  


This was a card I added to my Wants because there were multiple flavor text printings.  They had 4 different kinds of non-foil cards, and 2 different foil cards.  This was the last one I needed, and yes I did pick up playsets of the non-foil ones, but just singles of the foil ones.

So that was it, and other than that I have just been sick.  I hope to keep the blog updated with how the Modern Horizons playset goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...