Friday, July 26, 2013

Commander Sealed

Ok, so a couple of days ago I went online to buy up a full set of Commander decks.  It was the 5 decks that WotC put out a couple of years ago.  The only reason I went out and did this purchase was because WotC announced that there will be a new set of 5 Commander decks coming out in the fall.



So since I am a collector, my thinking was that with this new set coming out, the original set is going to be worth more.  I went on eBay and purchased it from Linden Cards, I think they are from Iowa.  I have had good luck buying from these guys before.

- Side story
I had bought a Zendikar Fat Pack from them earlier in the year.  It was a slightly higher than I wanted the price to be, and after checking around I paid too much for it, but it was worth it.  The stupid thing was that I just bought it because I wanted the full card art on the land, but when I was sorting the Fat Pack into my collection I found a whole stack of Zendikar land, so I was a bit miffed that I bought the fat pack.  Granted I did not have the fat pack box, and that is pretty cool to add to my collection, but still not worth the price I paid.
- End story

Ok, back to the Commander stuff.  So I bought the full set of 5 decks for around $330.00.  With shipping it is closer to $350.00.  With that being said, doing some research I also found the set of 5 going for closer to $399.99 on eBay.  But when checking Amazon.com I found them going for closer to $475.00.  Today I checked the prices and I saw that Linden Cards just raised their price to $375.00 on eBay, so overall I think it was a good purchase.  Granted, my purchase of the full set might have caused Linden Cards to raise the price anyway, but I did get the full set of 5 decks at a good price, from a buyer that I do like.

But with all this being said, I decided to also purchase the Commander's Arsenal as well.  I found the full set on eBay for $229.00 shipping included from the eBay seller pitchout1. Now I just bought the cards, so lets see if the cards come in the mail.  Again, the only reason I bought the cards was because of the news that there is a new Commander set coming out.

In hindsight I should have bought the sets earlier in the year when the Commander Arsenal set was closer to $199.00 and the Commander 5 deck set was around $299.00.



I mean, I do like playing EDH, don't get me wrong.  But I thought that now would be a good time to pull the trigger in getting the cards for my collection since they are releasing a new set.  I will be opening all the sets to sort into my Pre-Modern collection, and I plan to play with all the cards.  I have put thought into buying another set to keep unopened, but I am not sure I will pull that trigger.  Maybe that will be another blog for me to write.

20130729 UPDATE: So after opening all the decks, and sorting them and putting them into my spreadsheet, the price of the full set of 5 decks prices out to be $486.41.  So that means if you can buy the set of 5 decks for less than this price, you are technically ahead of the game.  This is also going off the medium prices on TCGPlayer.com.  Considering that you are pulling the cards from sealed packages and putting them right into sleeves they might be considered prices at the high amount.  It is just hard to do that since TCGPlayer.com has started to allow everyone sell on their site, and people are over pricing their cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break time

I am going to be taking a break from updating my blog until I start doing more with Magic the Gathering.  I am not going to sell the collect...